Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute researcher Grace Lewis offers two new white papers that discuss the essentials of two popular approaches for software system implementation, cloud computing and service-oriented architecture (SOA).
Basics About Cloud Computing identifies core concepts and explains
- types of providers
- ways to access cloud computing services
- drivers for adoption and barriers to adoption
- the approach’s relationship to service-oriented architecture and grid computing
Getting Started with Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Terminology defines SOA and describes
- essential SOA terms
- basic operations that support service-oriented systems
- common implementation technology patterns
Grace Lewis focuses SEI research into cloud computing and SOA on separating reality from hype about these promising approaches. Lewis also led SEI development of an SOA research agenda, as well as SOA technologies and SOA training courses.